This summer unlike any other is critical in providing kids with fun and engaging learning opportunities that support them both academically and social-emotionally.
Today through Friday, September 3, kids can participate in the Scholastic Summer Reading program, a free, annual initiative to keep kids motivated to read all summer long while expanding critical access to books. This fun and digitally safe program hosts virtual author events, provides complete, engaging e-books and empowers kids to unlock a donation of 100,000 print books from Scholastic and distributed in rural America by Save the Children, a nonprofit organization that has transformed the lives of more than 1 billion children since its founding more than 100 years ago.
To learn more about the Scholastic Summer Reading program, visit: www.scholastic.com/summer
Kids can participate by creating an account on Scholastic Home Base, a safe, 24/7 moderated digital destination! While there, they will be able to:
- Read free e-books includingfavorites from series such as Goosebumps and I Survived, and enjoy author read-aloud videos, such as The Word Collector, Train, and The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet.
- Attend virtual author events every Thursday from May 6 to August 26 at 3 p.m. EST! Bestselling and award-winning authors includingsummer reading ambassadorsSayantani DasGupta, Varian Johnson, Ann M. Martin, and Kelly Yang, will interact with kids via a moderated chat function, respond to questions, learn behind-the-scenes information, and even write short pieces with the kids.
- Unlock a donation of 100,000 new print books from Scholasticdistributed by Save the Children to kids in communities throughout the country with limited or no access to books. The more Reading Streaks™ accumulate, the faster books are donated!
- Earn reading milestones and rewards such as trophies, virtual items, and in-game tokens. With each achievement level, kids will collect new virtual rewards and accessories for their digital avatar.
- Join a community of readers and create reading circles to track group reading progress connected to the overall book donation, start community conversations, and write and share stories, comics, and art, all in a special group Newsfeed. Within the summer zone in Home Base, kids can enjoy book-based games and activities, dance parties, and more!
- Share reading progress by downloading and printing custom reports to share with caregivers and/or educators.
To learn more about how your students can participate in the Scholastic Summer Reading program, and for more information about summer learning resources from Scholastic including “Grab-and-Go” book packs, special summer reading Book Club flyers, summer reading virtual Book Fairs, and more, visit: www.scholastic.com/summer