As educators and families everywhere continue to seek opportunities to build the connection that is so needed among students, Scholastic and the literacy nonprofit LitWorld are teaming up with football champion and literacy advocate Malcolm Mitchell for a special World Read Aloud Day celebration on Wednesday, February 3, 2021.
According to the Scholastic Teacher & Principal School Report: 2nd Edition, educators have shared that their top COVID-19-related concern is their students’ social-emotional wellbeing, and nearly all agree that literacy is critical to students’ wellness. World Read Aloud Day provides a powerful opportunity to bring people together through stories virtually. And to help ensure even more children have access to read-aloud books, Scholastic is donating 10,000 books to Malcolm Mitchell’s Share the Magic Foundation.
To learn more, visit the Scholastic World Read Aloud Day website at: https://www.scholastic.com/worldreadaloudday
New on the website this year, Scholastic is offering free, immediate access to a selection of resources including articles from Scholastic Classroom Magazines, the full version of Click Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin made available through Scholastic BookFlix®, activities from Scholastic Learn at Home for Families, as well as articles about the importance of reading aloud.
Educators and families can also subscribe to the WRADvocates (read-aloud advocates) email list to receive a free VirtualKit, which includes:
- A special read-aloud video message from Malcolm Mitchell
- A 15% off coupon for the Scholastic Store Online (through February 10, 2021)
- Educational materials and discussion guides for select titles featured on the curated list of 30 World Read Aloud Day Book Picks
- Printable activity sheets and how-to craft projects inspired by beloved children’s titles such as Chicken Little by Sam Wedelich, The Serpent’s Secret series by Sayantani DasGupta, The Bad Guys series by Aaron Blabey, the Bunbun & Bonbon series by Jess Keating, and more
- A curated hub of digital articles from Scholastic Classroom Magazines for all ages and interests
- Expanded access to paired fiction and nonfiction stories through Scholastic BookFlix, such as Duck on a Bike by David Shannon and the nonfiction text Bicycle Safety by Lisa M. Herrington
- A selection of digital book excerpts from beloved titles, including Martin Rising: Requiem for a King by Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkney, and Allies by Alan Gratz
- Shareable social media graphics including a WRADvocate badge and custom virtual backgrounds for read-alouds hosted via web conferencing services
Educators and families can also participate in the World Read Aloud Day social media challenge by snapping a photo or video of a special read-aloud moment. Use #WRADChallenge and #WorldReadAloudDay, tag at least three friends to join the fun, as well as @Scholastic and @LitWorldSays on Twitter, and @scholasticinc and @litworld on Instagram.
We look forward to celebrating World Read Aloud Day with you on February 3, 2021!