Below is a list of go-to links and resources that participants shared during the chat.
If summer reading is a topic of interest to you, Scholastic is holding a live Google+ Hangout TOMORROW at 8 p.m. EST featuring three educators who will share about summer reading initiatives in their communities. Pam Allyn, literacy expert and founder of LitWorld, will be moderating the hour-long session. RSVP and tune in on the event page here.
- Richard Allington and Anne McGill-Franzen's Reading Today article on how reading books during the summer can help close the reading achievement gap between children from wealthy and from poor households.
- Kimberly Tyson's blog post offering 13 ideas to parents for motivating their children to read during the summer.
- A 2007 Reading Today article on the summer slide by Maryann Mraz and Tim Rasinski.
- IRA's "Stopping the Summer Slide" Pinterest board.
- Five summer reading tips from Pam Allyn in Scholastic Instructor magazine.
And we couldn't go without mentioning the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge, our online reading program designed to motivate kids to read all summer long. Teachers can go to the site now and pre-register their students.